What is the Zululand Experience?
The Zululand Experience is an adventure traversing the vast and diverse landscape surrounding the Ngwenya community over 3 days. Here runners will get familiar with the area, enjoy home-cooked traditional food, locally brewed beer and exchange stories with the old ‘Madala’. Of course, we will then race across 20km of Zululand’s beautiful landscape with a unique Ngwenya style race complemented by KZN Trail Running to create a truly spectacular experience. We have made it our goal to benefit the community through this event, and each entry of our own includes another entry for a local runner from Ngwenya. We will run the race together!
Rise n Fly
We will be partnering with the Rise n Fly Youth Project, an Ngwenya-based NGO who has been hosting various sporting events in the community over the past ten years. In addition to sporting activities Rise n Fly provides various other support services to the local community through various other programmes that deal with life skills, behaviour change, basic computer literacy and the performing arts
Check out their social media:
- Arrive at 1pm at Ngwenya Community (~3.5hr from Durban in the St Lucia direction – directions will be posted closer to the time)
- Orientation walk guided by Ziggy, Vincent and Myeni
- Traditional home-cooked dinner
- 7am – Race start
- 10:30am – Prize-giving
- 12pm – Lunch
- Afternoon – Relaxation
- Final, optional Morning Run
All entries will come with an additional race entry for a local Ngwenya runner (along with a race pack). Furthermore a donation will also be made to the Rise n Fly Youth Project.
Each entry includes the following:
- A single race entry into the Zululand Experience
- A race pack
- Two nights home-stay accommodation in the community
- All meals from Saturday Lunch to Monday Breakfast (local cuisine)